At our pharmacies, we can help you identify the cause of your sleeplessness, with sleep health advice and support, tailored to your lifestyle.
Here are some tips to encourage improvement of your sleep health:
- Relaxation techniques including breathing exercises, muscle relaxation and meditation can be useful before sleep.
- ‘Power naps’ of 10-20 minutes have shown to be an effective way to get a quick burst of energy during the day. They can improve memory recall and increase alertness and mood.1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluid during the day but avoid drinking too much before sleeping.
- If you’re feeling hungry, have a light meal before bed that is easy to digest such as, pasta, rice, bread, salad, fruit, vegetables, and milk products. Avoid spicy, fatty, and sugary foods. Do not go to bed hungry.
1. Headspace.com. 2021. Power napping – Headspace. [online] Available at:<https://www.headspace.com/sleep/power-nap> [Accessed 15 November
2021]. 2. Mednick, S., Cai, D., Kanady, J. and Drummond, S., 2008. Comparing the benefits of caffeine, naps and placebo on verbal, motor and perceptual
memory. Behavioural Brain Research, 193(1), pp.79-86. 3.LAHL, O., WISPEL, C., WILLIGENS, B. and PIETROWSKY, R., 2008. An ultra short episode of sleep
is sufficient to promote declarative memory performance. Journal of Sleep Research, [online] 17(1), pp.3-10. 4.Harvard Health. 2021. The benefits of napping
– Harvard Health. [online] Available at: <https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/the-benefits-of-napping> [Accessed 15 November 2021]. 5. Healthdirect.
gov.au. 2021. Insomnia. [online] Available at: <https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/insomnia> [Accessed 15 November 2021].
This website contains information about common medical conditions and general treatments. This information is designed to provide general health information and is not exhaustive. It should not be used for diagnosing, treating a health problem or disease, and is not intended as professional medical advice and should not replace the advice of your treating healthcare practitioner. Please see a healthcare practitioner before following any medical or health regime or before taking any medication or supplement. Soul Pattinson Chemist makes no representation or warranty whatsoever that the content or information on or available through this site is accurate, complete or appropriate. Reliance on information from this site is completely at the user’s own risk.